A community for the advancement of open and interoperable AR is working together actively.
As it is a grassroots initiative, there is no formal administrative structure for this community. These pages serve as a digital repository of information that the community gathers/contributes.
All those who are currently working towards open Augmented Reality content and experiences are invited to present the status of their activities and participate in this active global community. Additionally, companies and individuals who are interested or wish to contribute their projects to the advancement of interoperable AR are welcome.
The AR Community:
- collects/monitors progress and activities across a wide variety of SDOs (and relevant industry groups which provide open interfaces for AR experiences) in a consistent fashion with a special emphasis on
- detecting complementary work/redundant or overlapping work, and then
- providing a neutral/grass roots driven environment (platform) in which leaders of initiatives can explore ways to coordinate activities and reconcile areas of overlap or conflicts
- provides, where and when necessary, inputs to SDOs and communities interested in open and interoperable AR (some of these inputs are the community resources–see Resources tab of this portal)
- detects the emergence of and provide a centralized place/forum for the expression of needs from the AR development community including obstacles to the growth of AR.
Q: How does the AR Community meet its objectives?
- we maintain this portal
- we maintain and nurture seven mailing lists for the community
- we organize and conduct periodic virtual meetings
- we organize and conduct periodic face-to-face meetings
- we inform other communities of this work via presentations and papers.
Q: How does the visitor to the AR Community web site find concrete outputs of the community such as the resources and the documentation of community activity on mailing list and the meetings?
See the resources page.
Visit the page of emerging standards for open and interoperable AR that the AR Community tracks.
The most recent face-to-face meeting of the community took place March 24-25, 2015 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Visit the agenda page on which we have compiled all the presentations used during this meeting.
Q: What is the current status?
Task force members are collaborating in different areas and monitoring activities in other groups. The topics of interest to this community will be discussed at the OGC AR Summit in Nottingham on September 17, 2015.
Also, all members of the AR Community and interested parties are invited to attend the next in person community meeting to be held on October 6 and 7, 2015. The Oct 2015 AR Community Meeting will be hosted by SK Telecom in Seoul, Korea.
Q: How can I get involved?
Plan to attend the upcoming AR Community Meeting in Seoul, Korea on October 6 and 7, 2015.