A community for the advancement of open and interoperable AR is working together actively.
As it is a grassroots initiative, there is no formal administrative structure for this community. These pages serve as a digital repository of information that the community gathers/contributes.
All those who are currently working towards open Augmented Reality content and experiences are invited to present the status of their activities and participate in this active global community. Additionally, companies and individuals who are interested or wish to contribute their projects to the advancement of interoperable AR are welcome.
The AR Standards Community seeks to:
collect/monitor progress and activities across a wide variety of SDOs (and relevant industry groups which provide open interfaces for AR experiences) in a consistent fashion with a special emphasis on
- detecting complementary work/redundant or overlapping work, and then
- providing a neutral/grass roots driven environment (platform) in which leaders of initiatives can explore ways to coordinate activities and reconcile areas of overlap or conflicts
- provide, where and when necessary, inputs to SDOs and communities interested in open and interoperable AR (some of these inputs are the community resources–see Resources tab of this portal)
- detect the emergence of and provide a centralized place/forum for the expression of needs from the AR development community including obstacles to the growth of AR.
Q: How does the work of AR Standards community meet its objectives?
- we maintain this portal
- we maintain and nurture five mailing lists for the community
- we organize and conduct periodic virtual meetings
- we organize and conduct periodic face-to-face meetings
- we inform other communities of this work via presentations and papers.
Q: How does the visitor to the AR Standards Community web site find concrete outputs of the community such as the resources and the documentation of community activity on mailing list and the meetings?
See the resources page: http://www.perey.com/ARStandards/resources
See the archives of AR Standards Community discussion mailing list: http://arstandards.org/pipermail/discussion/
The most recent face-to-face meeting of the community took place March 1-2, 2013 in Barcelona, Spain. The community and public are invited to visit the agenda page on which we have compiled all the presentations used during this meeting. The pre-reading materials and position papers for the meeting is rich with resources. Community activities and initiatives for the next few months are captured in Next Steps.
Q: What is the current status?
For a short presentation providing the status of the standards for AR and the community as of October 2, 2012, get it here. See the above the materials from our March 2013 meeting, if you want the details.
Q: How can I get involved?