Since erupting in the second half of 2009, mobile AR has received a great deal of attention from bloggers, media and early technology adopters. Today, many conumsers have heard of and even tried mobile AR personally on their smartphones. Providers of software and application development services are generating revenues, several have received substantial investments from venture capitalists and some even report that they are profitable.
But not all the obstacles have been overcome. There remain significant business and technological barriers to growth:
- devices differ widely in their support for mobile AR
- those mobile devices with full mobile AR support are expensive for users to purchase
- accuracy with current technologies can fall below consumer expectations
- power consumption exceeds "normal" device usage guidelines
- lack of guidelines or best practices with regards to user privacy and data security
- publishers of content must use proprietary platforms to reach fragmented mobile AR audiences
Goals of this Summit
This summit provides a single forum for all stakeholders to meet and discuss the future of commercial Mobile Augmented Reality, present their contributions, and set future directions for collaboration.
Towards these ends, the Summit seeks to:
- Include representatives from all parts of the ecosystem of Mobile Augmented Reality:
- Mobile Network Operators
- Independent Software Vendors
- Experience Designers
- Augmented Reality Service Providers
- Handset Vendors
- Silicon/hardware component manufacturers
- Advertising Agencies
- Local Search Companies
- Internet Companies
- Standards Organizations, Industry Bodies
- Discuss current technical and/or business barriers to growth with an eye to understanding how these can be reduced,
- Learn about proposed mobile augmented reality protocols, and how these will be integrated with existing mobile industry constraints and trends. Solutions addressing privacy, security, and monetization on mobile are of interest.
- Identify the gaps in the industry at technical and business levels so as to chart the roadmap to continued and accelerated growth in the future, and
- Explore avenues for industry collaboration.
To Participate in the Mobile AR Summit
This is an ISMAR2010 workshop. Entry to the summit, including receiving all prepared content and participation in discussion sessions, is open to those who register and hold a pass for the ISMAR2010 workshops.
Passes are purchased via the ISMAR2010 registration portal.
Registration fee prior to September 9, 2010
IEEE members Non-members
Registration fee after September 9, 2010
IEEE members Non-members
Although not a requirement for participation, registered participants are highly encouraged to prepare and submit short position papers before October 1, 2010. More information about Mobile AR Summit Position Papers and submission instructions can be found here.
No later than October 3, 2010, instructions on how to download the compiled position papers will be posted to the Summit web site and sent to participants who submitted papers by e-mail.
The Summit organizers will develop the presentations and make decisions about all summit content prepared in advance. Speakers are currently being invited.
If you feel that you have a compelling case study or wish to nominate a company representative to speak during the summit, contact the Mobile AR Summit co-chairs.
Invited speakers will have a place reserved in the Summit, however, they will still need to register and pay the workshop participation fee via the ISMAR2010 registration portal.
The draft summit schedule is available here. Updates will be made regularly and the final schedule published on or before September 30, 2010.
To Participate in Mobile AR Showcase
Registered summit participants are invited to demonstrate their latest commercial mobile AR application or service during the Mobile AR Showcase session.
Complete the fields in the Showcase form.
Summit sessions and documents will be in English.
All notifications to participants will be made by way of this web page and posted to relevant blogs and industry mailing lists.
- Christine Perey, PEREY Research & Consulting
- Jung-hee Ryu, Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and Olaworks
- Woontack Woo, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
1 August 2010 Summit announced and information issued via Web site 9 September 2010 Deadline for Early ISMAR2010 Registration 30 September 2010 Final schedule published 1 October 2010 Deadline for Position Papers 3 October 2010 Position Papers posted to Web site 13 October 2010 9 AM Summit begins
To Keep up to date
If you would like to receive regular mailings with status updates on the Mobile AR Summit, including notifications when this site is modified, please complete this form and your e-mail will enter the mailing list.
You can also obtain updates via Twitter. Monitor the hashtag #ISMARmobilesummit
Comments or Questions?
Please address all comments and questions regarding the Mobile AR Summit via e-mail to Christine Perey, co-chair.